As I spent my whole weekend in the freezer of Starbucks studying, I overheard a lady talking about her little tummy and how she “starves herself and it still won’t go away”. I wanted to hug her and tell her that she needs to eat regularly, a good breakfast, and run (or she can walk. We won’t judge), and she would be a lot more likely to lose the couple pounds she was wishing away.
So why is it bad to starve yourself to lose weight? Let me count the ways:
- Lower metabolism level (which means your body will just hold onto the fat for dear life, scared you’ll never eat again!)
- Loss of energy
- Loss of appetite through to De-hydration
Instead of skipping meals, it’s recommended that you eat 5 small meals throughout the day. Or grazing all day on apples, carrots and healthy snacks. Always have a filled water bottle within reach to continue to flush out toxins. You might feel bloated initially, but eventually the water will run through your system, and you’ll feel so much more energized!
If you do starve yourself to lose weight, when you finally do start eating again, that weight will pile back on.
I’ve included a good list of metabolism boosting foods so you are able to eat and lose weight at the same time!
- Blueberries- High in antioxidant
- Almonds- healthy macronutrients and calories
- Salmon- high in protein, and a unique type of health-promoting fat, the omega-3 essential fatty acid.
- Spinach- provide more nutrients than any other food
- Turkey- provides almost half of the recommended daily allowance of folic acid, good source of vitamins B, B1, B6, zinc and potassium.
- Oatmeal- boring plain old oatmeal, high in fiber
- Green Tea- also high in antioxidant
- Water- Keeps our body functioning well.
If we’re eating good, balanced meals, we’re more likely to kick that run in the butt! What’s your tips for getting the nutrients you need?